Riccardo Manzotti: We must distinguish between internalism as an approach to the problem of consciousness (the idea that it is entirely produced in the head) and neuroscience as a discipline. The neuroscientists have made huge progress in mapping out the brain and analyzing the nitty-gritty of what goes on there, but the way they describe their experiments by way of a computer analogy—in particular of information processing and memory storage—can give the mistaken impression that they’re getting nearer to understanding what consciousness is.
- comments allowed but if nasty, offensive, will disallow them
- Mexican street art: a gallery
- The sorriest urban scene: why a US homelessness crisis drags on
- #DeleteFacebook is trending: Here’s how to delete your Facebook account
- daily rotation: tech, science, medicine…pick and choose
- why Shakespeare remains relevant
- Virtual Immortality