Scientist Stephen Hawking is known for his groundbreaking work with black holes and relativity, and is the author of several popular science books including ‘A Brief History of Time.’ He has died peacefully at the age of 76 at his home in Cambridge in the early hours of Wednesday (March 14, 2018).
—“We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today,” Lucy, Robert and Tim Hawking, the children of the physicist, said in a statement announcing his death. “He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years.”
—Below are some of fascinating vintage portraits of a young Stephen Hawking at his college on May 17, 1963.
- Amazing Color Photos Of End Of The Great Depression In 1940 (37 Pics)
- Should Some Species Be Allowed to Die Out?
- Does Recovery Kill Great Writing?
- As Trump consolidates his power, the history of 1930s Germany repeats itself
- The Refugee Detectives
- Bomb Cyclones, Nor’easters, and the Messy Relationship Between Weather and Climate
- Matchbox that can tell a virus from a bacterial infection and help avoid misdiagnoses
- New book unmasks hidden history of how US corporations gained legal personhood that trumps your rights