Manzotti: In declaring consciousness the “hard problem,” something extraordinary, and separating it from the rest of the physical world, Chalmers and others cast the debate in an anti-Copernican frame, preserving the notion that human consciousness exists in a special and, it is always implied, superior realm. The collective hubris that derives from this is all too evident and damaging.
- Thanksgiving | [a few nice articles]
- White House says true cost of opioid drug epidemic in 2015 was $504bn
- It’s the Kultur, Stupid | by Timothy Garton Ash [German populism]
- lots of goodies here
- Battered by extreme weather, Americans are more worried about climate change
- How to Tell If You’re a Jerk
- Kate’s Still Here